Watch me on Twitch!

Streaming on Twitch whenever I can. (Subscribe to my channel to get notifications!)

February 17, 2021

Quick Review: The Fall


The lengths a robot will go to in order to save a human…

Currently scanning: Nothing of importance.
Walk around, you'll find stuff.
The Fall
is a creation of Over The Moon and was released on May 30th, 2014. It was originally a project successfully funded on Kickstarter. The plot: A.R.I.D. is an artificial intelligence controlling a space suit currently worn by someone. For an unknown reason, it was sent through space, and crash-landed on an unknown (and potentially hostile) planet. A.R.I.D. managed to prevent most of the damage to itself and its wearer thanks to antimatter shields, but detects that the body within is unresponsive, probably in critical condition from the fall (ayy, title drop). Thankfully, the A.I. is capable of functioning on its own, carrying the body within to the nearest medical facilities to rescue it. Unfortunately, things aren’t quite as easy as they appear, and A.R.I.D.’s quest might take some unexpected turns.

It doesn't matter how often you say that.
Protocols keep blocking your way.
The game describes itself as an adventure puzzle side-scroller, but it reminds me most of point-and-click; the puzzles generally involve inspecting the surrounding world (A.R.I.D. has a neat function that allows it to investigate points of interest), remember the important areas, and pick up whatever may seem to be important. As an example, early on A.R.I.D. picks up a micro wrench, which is then used to remove an arm off an old robot, and then use that arm to reach through a gate to steal a key card. So yes, I had big “point-and-click” vibes here. And puzzles like these abound throughout, especially later on when you have to find "creative" solutions for puzzles where the more logical answer doesn't work, for any reason.

Only problem is, purple flowers are "Winter
Colors" and this place thinks we're in the
middle of summer.

That said, there is a little bit of action/adventure and platforming, as you eventually recover a gun, which becomes necessary to shoot rogue robots that may pop up. There’s also quite a bit of a horror feel to the whole thing, with the dimmed lighting and the ominous, uncomfortable, chilling ambiance throughout. There are traces of a human civilization – something happened here.

Engaging Insult Mode:
You son of a malformed toaster.

Just in case we meet... um... very shocking
opponents, we might need some way to
shoot much faster than we do now.
I originally had some issues with the controls: WASD to move, E to interact with something or make a decision, F to switch between A.R.I.D.’s detector and her weapon (once you obtain it). What annoyed me more was that you don’t just select something with E. First you select, then must choose the course of action: Network with it, take it, or try to use an item on it. The networking function isn’t used as often as it could have (most machinery here is outdated). I do understand why there are so many options, as they’re all necessary at some point. I did, however, like that A.R.I.D. starts with several functions not operational, and gains them as the plot progresses. Stuff like an invisibility mode or greater reaction speed. That was interesting. The plot also has good twists and a dose of comedy that helps alleviate the otherwise rather heavy atmosphere.

I must help an old cardboard woman cross the
street? The kind of crazy things an A.I.
had to do to rescue its wearer...

Overall, in spite of the moment it took me to adapt, I really enjoyed this one, especially because it gets very interesting once the plot picks up, and like I said, the game excels at creating its ambiance. I definitely recommend this one. It’s found on Steam for 9.99$ USD. The game has a sequel, The Fall Part 2: Unbound, released on February 13th, 2018, so if you try this one out and enjoy it, there’s another one, an even greater adventure for A.R.I.D., which is sold at a slightly higher price justified by the bigger game.

No comments:

Post a Comment