Watch me on Twitch!

Streaming on Twitch whenever I can. (Subscribe to my channel to get notifications!)

January 1, 2021

2020 Retrospective


I assume we’re all thinking the same thing: “Fuck this year.” And I agree, this year was awful. Well, it wasn’t entirely bad… but the vast majority of it was. The atmosphere was grim all year due to Covid-19, and it led to a whole bunch of problems we did not anticipate from a pandemic. People violently resisting the measures put in place, conspiracy theories abounding about the pandemic, not to mention politics making a huge mess of the whole thing… Oh yeah, the United States dropped the ball on that one, but Canada won’t be doing too well either considering the extreme and ridiculous amounts of money our government spent to deal with the pandemic, which will likely leave the entirety of Canada in debt for at least a decade…

The post-pandemic won’t be great either, but we can at least hope for the situation to improve in 2021. The cultural scene was a mess as well, with theaters closed for most of the year… It still feels weird to me that the last movie I saw in theaters in 2020 was Sonic the Hedgehog, way back in February. Music? Bands couldn’t tour, so they either turned to virtual concerts or found other ways to occupy themselves with their art. Video games? Now this was interesting, as we got some new consoles and a lot of notable titles as well. And hey, video games were one of the best ways to spend time at home this year, waiting in confinement or quarantine or forced vacation or however you may call it.

Yeah, the year sucked. I think I came out lucky, however; I didn’t catch Covid-19 (and I hope I won’t in 2021), had stable employment through the whole year (several people didn’t), and I did not suffer too much from any of the other problems the peculiar situation this year caused. The year sucked for me in most of the ways it sucked for everyone; having to live in the new reality of a pandemic, having to learn to live with wearing masks and having to follow strict rules when going out shopping… Those rules aren’t pleasant, but I do see them as necessary. I am looking forward to the days where I’m no longer treated as a potential vector of disease first and a person second. I hate it, but I get why it’s done.

In spite of a handful of short hiatuses, I’m also quite happy with what I achieved this year on the blog. I wished I could do away with hiatuses, but it’s been difficult to keep a schedule where I post something every week. It’s time to look back on the year.

My Top 10 favorite reviews of the year

10. Scribblenauts Unlimited. I am actually surprised that I got to review three Nintendo 3DS titles this year, seeing as I reviewed so few of those before. Of the three, this was my favorite and it shows in the review.
9. Painters Guild. Yet another one of those games where my interest in the game’s topic made for what I feel to be an interesting review, fun to read.
8. Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity. First off, let me say that I’m happy I carried through with a Sonic month at last. Second, this game had been in my collection for a while, so I was glad to finally cover it. While I had a lot of criticism, I overall felt like I had good points to make, which no doubt reflected in the quality of the articles.
7. Ratchet & Clank (the movie). A lot of items in my “favorite reviews” are for games and films I’ve wanted to write about for a while. It may be that I started thinking about my points and my critiques long before writing them down, which meant I had time to develop my thoughts before penning them down. This film was one of those cases.
6. Sonic and the Black Knight. After covering Sonic and the Secret Rings so long ago, I wanted to put the Storuybook duology to rest. I played this game a lot, so I gave it a fair chance.
5. Dude, Stop. When a game is particularly fun (or funny), it can reflect on the review. Even more so than The Henry Stickmin Collection, this game probably gave me some of the biggest laughs all year. (Plus I wasn’t walking on eggshells trying to avoid spoilers since it was a quick review.)
4. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to The Past. I tried a different approach to this one, by discussing the game rather quickly and mostly talking about the impact the game’s had. Its content matters to explain why it had such massive impact on the gaming world, but it felt important to discuss said impact.
3. Pony Island. I rarely get creative with quick reviews, so I was happy to start with a joke about spoilers.
2. Ralph Breaks the Internet. This review had been in my mind for a while and I felt it would be a decent close to a month’s worth of movie reviews. I also knew I wanted to cover a lot of topics about the film’s story, and splitting it in portion really helped. Don’t be surprised if this format returns for future reviews (of films or games).
1. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. I loved splitting the review between the main story's missions, as it allowed me to cover everything the game offered and then some. It was a good template and, since I used it for a film review as well, it seems I might stick to it the next time I publish a large review.

The 10 worst games reviewed on the blog in 2020

10. Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode I. Nothing too bad here, just a dire lack of content for a game at the price at which it was sold. Too short, but it’s not terrible; just lacking something without its follow-up, Episode II. Which, for the record, had enough extras to avoid this list.
9. Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon. When I think of a game that feels tedious to play, this one comes to my mind. There’s a reason I put off finishing it for so long; the interest just wasn’t there. Oh, it’s got good ideas, but the game’s constant railroading and scripted events don’t allow for a lot of room to do interesting things in the various missions. Oh, I am glad I finished it still.
8. James Noir’s Hollywood Crimes. I talked about it only a few weeks ago, so I remember my points: Puzzles are decent (even if they’re integrated rather poorly to the plot), but the plot is really dumb.
7. Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity. A game that doesn’t give you much of a chance to learn, a crazy difficulty curve, and some unforgiving tracks. Really not a great racing game overall. Not a great plotline either, but the options for vehicles are nice and the overall thing looks pretty good.
6. Secrets of Raetikon. Looks pretty, but I got lost in there and couldn’t find my way around after a while. I’m sure it’s not that terrible, but I could barely keep any interest in it, the game didn’t pull me in at all.
5. Defy Gravity. It’s alright enough as a gravity-based physics platformer, but nothing really struck me as new or innovative about this one. Doesn’t make this one bad, but disappointing.
4. Secret of Magia. I know RPG Maker games are often single-person projects, so I won’t be too mean, but I remember just how many things either barely or didn’t work, including the lack of any ending, and I felt it had its place on this list.
3. Robot Roller-Derby Disco Dodgeball. I imagine there’s something in there for people who like to play competitively by learning a game and its intricacies, but the overall product felt like a genuine rave; insufferable music, too many bright colors, and not nearly fun enough in spite of its attempts.
2. Marble Mayhem: Fragile Ball. Physics-based puzzle games can be fine, but this one is just… Augh. Of course, if you weren’t controlling a glass ball that breaks at nothing, it would be a little better; but no. It requires too much precision and doesn’t offer any reward for the difficulty.
1. Flight of the Paladin. Aside from Secret of Magia, I think this game has enough design flaws that I can safely point to it and say “This. Don’t do this.” So many things were done poorly in this game. It’s functional, which is better than I can say of other games released this year, but it’s got so many annoyances and design problems to make it the worst experience I had. Thankfully it was a very short experience.

Special mention: The movies

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within because it’s so damn boring.
Max Payne because it’s uninspired, bleak, bland and I’m fairly certain the games are way, way better.

The 10 best games reviewed on the blog in 2020

10. Dude, Stop. The gameplay for this one is fairly simple, but I loved the concept of trying to solve puzzles the right way and the wrong way in order to hear the narrator/“developer”’s reactions to how you play. 10/10 comedy, hilarious, a recommendation if you’re feeling low one day.
9. Gone Home. The game made the news back when it was released, and I will agree that it’s a great game. The unraveling narrative, as you explore the empty house, is interesting and piles on the surprises. My only issue is how slow the game is, with the PC walking at a snail’s pace – an understandable, but unfortunate, design decision.
8. Scribblenauts Unlimited. I may be biased as I always loved the concept of being able to summon anything out of thin air, but I felt that most improvements made to the series held up well in this installment. Still disappointed that you can’t create your own items in the 3DS version, though.
7. The Henry Stickmin Collection. Love it, and like many games on this list, it brought me laughter in a year where I desperately needed it. As awesome as it is, it’s ultimately a game with little gameplay, as you pick an option once in a while and see it unravel (or watch a hilarious Fail). There is some challenge to getting every achievement and Bio, though, so that’s a nice bonus.
6. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. There’s a few things that rescue this game and make it one of the best gaming experiences I’ve had in recent years. First, I didn’t run into too many glitches. Second, it’s such a huge world to explore with what feels like an endless source of secrets and lore that I was hardly, if ever, bored by it. If Bethesda could get their crap together and release an Elder Scrolls VI that’s a step up from that, it will be seriously impressive. (But after Fallout 76, I have doubts…)
5. Tadpole Treble. Matthew Taranto’s game about a tadpole lost in a musical world will always have a place in my heart. I can’t say I’m all that great at it, but it’s charming, adorable, and catchy, and I am most likely going to replay it every now and then.
4. ABZÙ. One of the most beautiful game experiences I’ve had all year, ABZÙ is short but presents a lot of wonderful imagery that ought to be seen. It’s not just a game; it really is something you should try for yourself, if only for how gorgeous it is. Very cool set pieces and an interesting story help tie it all together.
3. The Stanley Parable. Davey Wreden’s existentialist masterpiece allows for a pretty amazing discussion on video game design and on several of the medium’s most famous tropes. It doesn’t take itself too seriously. It has so many secrets that it can keep you busy for several hours. A highlight? The confusion ending. I know why it will remain a topic of discussion for anyone who likes self-aware video games. It’s just that good.
2. Pony Island. Some games merely start with a concept and then roll with it. In this pony platformer combined with a programming puzzle, you fight demons in a cursed arcade cabinet. A weird concept, but damn if Daniel Mullins Games didn’t put their hearts into it.
1. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. Even if I didn’t give this one an in-depth review, I will say that it ranks as one of the most important games of all time, as well as one of the most well-regarded Zelda games. Once again, there may be a bias since it’s a game that’s followed me through a large part of my life. But praise for thisone is near-universal, and it’s not difficult to see why.

The 10 goals I had this year, and whether they were accomplished

10. A review of The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past – I sure did that one! And I’m glad I did.
9. A Sonic Month – I did it! I had been hoping to do one for a while, so I’m glad it’s out of the way. When’s the next one? 2022? Maybe, maybe.
8. The large review of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim – Yep, done, and done early this year, with the review coming out in January.
7. Edit the other pages of the blog (Archive, extras, etc.) – Partly achieved. I updated the Archive, and added some pictures to the Title Card gallery, but outside of that, unfortunately, I haven’t changed much. I probably should.
6. Less hiatuses – unfortunately I’ve once again had a lot of hiatuses this year. I don’t think it will change in 2021, seeing as I have a different job now, but I might try to post content regularly once more.
5. More quick reviews – I’ve once again reviewed over 25 games in quick reviews this year. Unfortunately, this does come with a lot of hiatuses before and after (as I need time to play this many games and write about them, and I also usually need time to play other games afterwards for the next set of content).
4. More reviews of Nintendo games – well, games on Nintendo consoles. Overall, I think I did pretty well on that one.
3. Two or three VGFlicks reviews – I actually reviewed 5 movies this year, seeing as I did a full month of reviews of films based on or about games. It helped de-clutter the list of movies I’ve yet to give a full review for.
2. A redesign of the site – Nope, still couldn’t do it this year. Unfortunately.
1. Grow a better community for the blog – I can’t really say I’ve done that either…

10 goals for 2021

10. A proper anniversary review – I didn’t have one per se this year, instead opting for quick reviews. I could probably find a game worth talking about at length… I already have some ideas.
9. Two sets of quick reviews. Not just one; two. This would mean reviewing a LOT of games in 2021. I am already planning for a set of quick reviews that I hope to start posting by February, but we’ll see in due time if I can do that.
8. A redesign of the site. Promised every year, failed every year. Wished I could do it, maybe 2021 will allow it.
7. Update the other bonus pages of the blog – keep the Archive updated, of course, but also add more to the other pages (About Me, Extras, Title Cards, Links, Thanks, Community…)
6. A Halloween special perhaps? I could do with reviewing some horror games in October.
5. Produce at least one full video for YouTube. I really want to try my hand at this, I don’t know how well I can manage it, but it would be nice to do. (Don’t expect high art, it would be my first video after all…)
4. More reviews of Ubisoft games. I’ve already called out the company several times, but I have a backlog of games on UPlay, and it’s weird to think that I’ve only really finished one of those games.
3. I’m juggling with the idea of doing another M-rated month in which I exclusively review games rated Mature, seeing as I have a handful of those.
2. A review of a mainline Pokémon game. It’s about time I finally write about Pokémon X, which I’ve had since 2014. I feel like Gen 6, in general, needs to be looked at again, now that we’ve had Gen 8 for a year and can compare/contrast.
1. More streaming. Streaming became a pretty popular pastime due to the pandemic, so I really hope I get my hands on a better webcam, a better microphone, and work on those streaming skills so I can provide more entertainment.

Finally, in that massive Steam library of mine, I usually end the year by removing a very small number of games among those I’ve played, games I’ve grown to be fairly certain I will not replay them again. It doesn’t mean they’re bad; only that I don’t think there’s a point in keeping them. This year, I’ve settled on five games:

-Back to Bed
-Dreaming Sarah
-Lion Quest
-Rituals
-TIMEframe

And after uninstalling those games and removing them from my account, I also like to update my list of Favorites: Games I’d gladly play again, and again, and again. Mind you, this only includes games that I've reviewed; many other favorites will come up as I review more games on Steam.

-3D Ultra Minigolf Adventures Deluxe
-Bastion
-Cuphead
-The Disney Afternoon Collection
-The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
-Frederic: Evil Strikes Back
-GemCraft – Chasing Shadows
-The Henry Stickmin Collection
-Indie Pogo
-Ninja Pizza Girl
-Octodad: Dadliest Catch
-GTA V
-Pony Island
-Rayman Origins
-RollerCoaster Tycoon Deluxe
-Shantae: Risky’s Revenge
-The Stanley Parable
-Tadpole Treble
-Undertale
-Yu-Gi-Oh! Legacy of the Duelist

That’s it for this year. Good riddance 2020, please 2021 go easy on the world. We can never guarantee that 2021 will, indeed, be better than 2020, but we can all make a collective effort to make it better. I wish you all a good year, may it be an improvement over the last twelve months.

No comments:

Post a Comment